Where was the Moray eel from THE DEEP filmed?
|The BUS looking west from above The Lagoon (Source Sony Pictures)|
|1976 - The Deep BUS on the hill formerly known as Hospital Island with The Lagoon far right. The contemporary Hospital Island is in the foreground bottom of picture (Source Sony Pictures).|
|Diving on RMS Rhone at up to 80 feet deep plus decompression stops limited filming to less than 2 hours per day (Source American Cinematographer)|
|Tony Masters' and Jack Maxsted's plan for the BUS (Source Terry Ackland-Snow The Art of Illusion)|
|(Source American Cinematographer March 1977)|
"In sea water more than a few feet deep, blood is green. Water filters the light from above, seeming to consume the colors of the spectrum shade by shade. Red is the first to succumb, to disappear. Green lasts longer. But then, below 100 feet, green, too, fades away, leaving blue. In the twilight depths -180, 200 feet, and beyond-blood looks black."
|Terry Ackland Snow's ocean colour board (Source Terry Ackland-Snow The Art of Illusion)|
|Lifting the Goliath set into the BUS (Source Sony Pictures).|
|A workman finishes the eel's lair set which can be seen behind the eel in the film (Source Sony Pictures).|
|Tony Master's BUS containing the interior of Goliath and Grifon (Source Skin Diver Magazine)|
|(Source Daily News)|
|Old water from the BUS spilling down to The Lagoon (Source Sony Pictures)|
All of the dramatic interior wreck scenes were filmed here; siphoning ampules with the dredge, the exploding grenade, finding the Queen's treasure, and being attacked by the eel.
|Peter Benchley at the BUS with Percy the moray eel (Source Sony Pictures)|
Some of the Grifon BUS scenes included prop versions of the real Tucker Treasure and other artefacts discovered by Teddy Tucker. These included a solid gold bar of over 40 ounces, a solid gold quoit (a circular slab of gold) weighing almost 2 pounds, a version of the Tucker Cross from the wreck of the San Pedro (1598), and pottery jars from the wreck of the San Antonio (1621).2
|(Source Sony Pictures)|
|The real Tucker Treasure from Mendel Peterson's The Funnel of Gold|
Some of the gold bars pictured above found by Teddy Tucker are in the collection of the National Museum of Bermuda.
|The real pottery jars from Mendel Peterson's The Funnel of Gold|
|Geri Murphy keeps sequences matched by taking script notes in the BUS (Source Sony Pictures).|
Royal Naval Hospital
|Bermuda's Royal Naval Hospital on opening day 22 June 1818. The 30 ton rooftop dome was soon removed because it caused the entire structure to shake in the South wind. (Source History of Bermuda Hospital 1794-1878 The National Archives UK)|
|Hospital Island added to Harvey's manuscript in 1884. X marks the entry at Lagoon Road and Heydon Road. The building marked '184' on the summit is the main hospital built 1818 and where the BUS was built in 1976 (Source History of Bermuda Hospital 1794-1878 The National Archives UK)|
|Royal Naval Hospital Bermuda by Johnson Savage MD c1833-1836 (Source The Royal Gazette)|
|The new Dispensary, Duty Room and offices above the east wing water tank (Source The Royal Gazette)|
"... many irregularities occurred there; it was open to, and used by the public, spiritious liquors, were frequently smuggled into the Hospital in this way and in consequence of the ease with which it could be done many immoralities occurred."
|Royal Naval Hospital 1848 (Source Illustrated London News 29 July 1848)|
|Royal Naval Hospital after 1874 (Source National Museum of Bermuda via Royal Gazette).|
|Royal Naval Hospital in 1878 (Source History of Bermuda Hospital 1794-1878 The National Archives UK)|
|X marks the entry at Lagoon Road and Heydon Road in 1940 (Source Bermuda Government via Douglas De Couto).|
|5 November 1976 - Riding by Little Watford Bridge Jacqueline Bisset passes what is now the New Woody's Sports Bar and Restaurant (Photo Santi Visalli).|
|1973 - The 154 year old hospital is gone and ready for the BUS. (Top) X marks the entry at Lagoon Road and Heydon Road (Source Bermuda Government via Douglas De Couto).|
|(Source Sony Pictures)|
|Cedar, sage, oleander, cover the summit in 2003 (Source Google Earth)|
|The BUS's distinct oval shape re-emerges in the forest 9 July 2006 (Source Google Earth)|
Between 2007-2011 a building was constructed half over the former BUS excavation.
|The distinctly oval former BUS site beneath a 21st century building at 'Hospital Island' (Source Google Earth).|
1 Different sources report different dimensions. The plan published by Terry Ackland-Snow, in his memoir The Art of Illusion, shows 108 feet long, 80 feet wide, and 30 feet deep. June 1977 American Cinematographer quoted Tony Masters 130 feet long, 85 feet wide, and 30 feet deep. Producer Peter Guber's running diary of the production, Inside the Deep, has 120 feet in diameter and 30 feet deep.
2 Different sources date the wreck of the San Pedro between 1595 -1598. In a 2010 interview Teddy Tucker, who discovered the wreck in 1951, said it sank in 1598.